Favorite TV Moms Of All Time
Moms have been portrayed on TV and in the movies in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Your own favorite TV moms may well depend on when you watched TV.
Here are a few of TV moms that broke into America’s living rooms–way before Charlie Sheen and You Tube blew up the whole idea of motherhood.
• Marge Simpson — “The Simpsons,” animated, voice of Julie Kavner. She’s a modern day June Cleaver who juggles bratty Bart, precocious Lisa, and pacifier-addicted Maggie, while keeping hubby Homer in check. Her words of wisdom: “Let’s forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream.”
• June Cleaver — “Leave it to Beaver,” actress Barbara Billingsley. She manages to vacuum while wearing fancy dresses, pearls and high-heels, with never a hair out of place. Her words of wisdom: “I wish Wally wouldn’t use words like ‘flaky’ and ‘kooky.’”
• Clair Huxtable — “The Cosby Show,” actress Phylicia Rashad. She’s the supermom of the ’80s — a lawyer with five kids — who stands her ground with Cliff. Her words of wisdom: “If you don’t get it together and drop these macho attitudes, you are never gonna have anyone bringing you anything, anyplace, anytime, ever!”
• Olivia Walton — “The Waltons,” actress Michael Learned. She gives up being a singer, painter, and dressmaker to raise her family, and battles polio, tuberculosis, the Depression and World War II. Her words of wisdom: “I think you could be anything you want to be, doll.”
• Lorelai Gilmore – “Gilmore Girls,” actress Lauren Graham. She’s a sassy single mom who is her teenager daughter’s best friend. Her words of wisdom: “I’m afraid once you’re heart is involved, it all comes out in Moron.”
• Marion Cunningham — “Happy Days,” actress Marion Ross. This nurturing mom helped turn surrogate son Fonzie from a thug to a lovable lug. And she’s the only one allowed to call him by his birth name — “Arthur.” Her words of wisdom: “Life would be so much more pleasant if we just had more closet space.”
• Caroline Ingalls — “Little House on the Prairie,” actress Karen Grassie. Even though the Ingalls are poor, Caroline manages to whip up pretty party dresses for her girls. And no one stands up to the snobby Mrs. Oleson like she does. Her words of wisdom: “I’m sure Nellie has her good qualities somewhere.”
• Carol Brady — “The Brady Bunch,” actress Florence Henderson. She’s a lovely lady who is also a loving mom and stepmom. Her words of wisdom: “The times might have changed, but people haven’t.”
• Elyse Keaton — “Family Ties,” actress Meredith Baxter. She doesn’t agree with her rabid Republican son Alex, but supports his right to be different. Her words of wisdom: “I bet Skippy didn’t stay up all night worrying about Watergate.”
• Bree Van de Kamp — “Desperate Housewives,” actress Marcia Cross. The law-abiding mother hides her son’s hit-and-run accident to keep him from going to jail. Her words of wisdom: “I would love you even if you were a murderer.”
Who was your favorite TV mom? Leave your suggestions in the comments.