Things You Should Be Able To Do By The Time You’re 18
I'll give credit to our co-worker, Christina, for this blog. She had posted on her Facebook page this morning a list of things that your kids should be able to do by the time they're 18.
The list included:
- Learn how to change a tire.
- Learn how to change your own oil.
- Drive a stick.
- Balance your checkbook.
- Do your own taxes.
- Learn to hem your own pants/sew a button on.
- Learn how to cook things besides mac n cheese.
- How to grow your own food.
- Basic first aid.
- And the cost of having a baby vs. the cost of getting a college education.
And to this list, I'd also add learning firearm safety, even if you never plan to handle a gun.
I've always said that one the best jobs I've had was at Pizza Hut where you started at the bottom doing the mopping, cleaning the grease trap and then hand washing dishes that were stacked 4 feet high. Cleaning is a skill that will serve you well your entire life.