Winter Storm Warning for Billings and the Surrounding Area
Be advise that the sever winter weather alert for the Billings area is still in effect. The weather advisory is in effect through 11 pm tomorrow night.
Temperatures will hover in the teens and single digits with wind chill factors up to minus 20.
If you are traveling in this weather here are a few driving tips from AAA.
- Make certain your tires are properly inflated.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full.
- Do not use cruise control when driving on any slippery surface (wet, ice, sand).
- Use your seat belt every time you get into your vehicle.
- Watch weather reports prior to a long-distance drive or before driving in isolated areas.
- Pack a cell phone, plus blankets, gloves, hats, food, water and any needed medication in your vehicle.
- If you become snow-bound, stay with your vehicle. It provides temporary shelter and makes it easier for rescuers to locate you. Don’t try to walk in a severe storm. It’s easy to lose sight of your vehicle in blowing snow and become lost.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly. Applying the gas slowly to accelerate is the best method for regaining traction and avoiding skids.
- Drive slowly. Everything takes longer on snow-covered roads.
- Know your brakes. If you have anti-lock brakes (ABS) and need to slow down quickly, press hard on the pedal-it’s normal for the pedal to vibrate a bit when the ABS is activated.
Perhaps the most important part of driving in bad winter weather is, take your time and don't text and drive or drink and drive.