Distributed And Delivered: Flakesgiving 2023 In Billings Is Wrapped Up
Another year has come and gone for Flakesgiving from The Breakfast Flakes on Cat Country 102.9 and Townsquare Media Billings.
So Many Turkeys
In years past, The Flakesgiving Fund has raised enough for 1,500 meal kits, though for 2023, that number dropped slightly down to 1350. Why? Well, the cost of each box this year increased by $10... and remember, The Flakes get the meal kits at cost.
The number of items packed that day is staggering. And thanks to our helpful RDME Jaci here at Townsquare, we got a video of a box being assembled this year.
Remember, each box contains the following items:
- A 10 to 15 pound Turkey
- 10 pounds of Potatoes
- Black Olives
- 2 boxes of Mac & Cheese
- Gravy Mix
That's a hearty meal, for sure, considering each box can feed up to 10 people.
Made Possible By You
Every year, the Flakes take on this monumental event in order to provide for those who need it. Though, without the tens of thousands of dollars in donations... volunteers from many local schools... and help YOU packing it all together, it just wouldn't happen!
Here's How To Make Your Flakesgiving Meal
Just like in years past, we include the exact recipe in every box to make your turkey. But, in the event you lost it (or just want another copy), here it is.
A Simply Perfect Roast Flakesgiving Turkey
- 1- 18 Pound Whole Turkey
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper "to taste"
- 1 1/2 Quarts Turkey Stock
- 8 Cups Prepared Stuffing
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place the rack in the lowest position of the oven.
- Remove the turkey neck and giblets, rinse the turkey, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in the roasting pan.
- Loosely fill the body cavity with stuffing.
- Rub the skin with the softened butter, and season with salt and pepper.
- Position an aluminum foil tent over the turkey.
- Place turkey in the oven, and pour 2 cups of turkey stock into the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Baste all over every 30 minutes with the juices on the bottom of the pan.
- Whenever the drippings evaporate, add stock to moisten them, about 1 to 2 cups at a time.
- Remove aluminum foil after 2 1/2 hours.
- Roast until a meat thermometer, inserted in the meaty part of the thigh, reads 180 degrees F about 4 hours after cooking has begun.
- Transfer the turkey to a large serving platter.
- Let it stand for at least 20 to 30 minutes before carving.
Happy Thanksgiving to all! And enjoy the Flakesgiving gallery below.
The Sights You May Have Missed At Flakesgiving 2023
Gallery Credit: Josh Rath